Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mexican Fruit Recipe

Fruit with Chili & Lime

We went to another flea market last weekend in Grand Prairie, Texas. The majority of the population there were Mexicans, hence the large variety of Mexican food stands. I kept seeing people walk by us with big plastic cups filled with cut up fruit. It sounded really good on that hot day, so we finally asked where to get it and went to get some for ourselves. We couldn't get near the place because the line was so long. I got in line but very quickly decided I wasn't waiting that long for a cup of fruit. The attraction was one certain item on the menu: Fruit with Chili & Lime.

I bought some fruit at one of the many fruit stands before we left so I could make some myself when we got home. I looked it up on the Internet when we got home, and to my surprise, several recipes for the dish popped up. I took a little from several of them, used the fruits I had bought at the flea market, and this is what I ended up with:

Fruit w/Chili & Lime

2 Mangos
1 cup Pineapple Chunks
1 cup sliced Strawberries
1 cup Red seedless grapes
1/2 Cucumber
2 Jalapenos, seeds removed
Cilantro, to taste
Chili Powder
Lime juice
Salt

Chunk the fruit and cucumber, seed and slice the jalapeno, and mix everything together in a bowl. Grab a handful of cilantro, roughly chop it, and add it to the fruit bowl.

Dressing: Mix the chili powder, salt, and lime juice in a small bowl. Pour over all and mix well. Serve immediately. (Mine was still good the next day after sitting in the fridge, but it was definitely better right after making it.)

Note on the Dressing: How much chili powder, salt, and lime juice you use is up to you. I ended up using the juice of one lime, about two teaspoons of chili powder, and half a teaspoon of salt. We both ended up sprinkling more chili powder over our fruit after it was served.

Another Note: The slight heat from the jalapenos really made this dish good. If you seed them, they're not really hot at all, but they do have some bite to them that makes the fruit come alive. The cucumber is really important to this dish too, in my opinion. It was a great contrast to the sweetness of the fruit.

We both liked this a lot. I'll definitely be making it again.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! I'll have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Where's the "cool stuff" button?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥