Friday, January 25, 2008

Cherry Bombs

Cherry Bombs
Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

The candies turned out great. I had a major meltdown in the morning hours and wanted to cancel the party and go hide under the covers in my bed.

I called my mother, and she came over to help me make the candy. By the time she got here, I had the candy mixed up and we just had to wait for it to set up so we could roll the balls. In the meantime, the chocolate for dipping them was melting on the stove and I decided to have a sandwich since I hadn't eaten anything yet that day.

I discovered something miraculous about eating.

No sooner than I finished the sandwich, I was as calm as could be and promptly decided I needed a nap right that minute (crazy!). So we took the chocolate off the stove and left the candy in the refrigerator, my mother left, and I went to sleep on the couch. I woke up an hour later still feeling calm and completely over it. I made the candy, ate supper, and felt just fine the rest of the evening.

Some of you may remember that I had been having some blood sugar issues lately. Well, apparently when your blood sugar is wild because you haven't eaten, it can make you irritable and slightly crazy. Who knew eating a sandwich could make such a difference in the way you feel? Not me, but I do now! Now I just wish I had tested my blood glucose level before and after I ate.

I got up this morning and had my coffee as usual, and then ate a sandwich before I did anything else. I'm completely pleasant and ready to do what needs to be done for the party tomorrow. I just have two pretty simple recipes to make, and I need to go pick up a table, chairs, and a coffee caraf from my mom and sister. I may wait until tomorrow and pick those things up when I pick up the sandwich platter I ordered from the deli.

Here's the candy recipe. I renamed them Cherry Bombs because the original name was Chocolate Covered Cherry Candies, and they are not what I think of as chocolate covered cherries. Chocolate covered cherries are whole cherries covered in chocolate, right? Anyway, here it is:

Cherry Bombs

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick of melted butter
2 boxes powdered sugar (2 lbs total)
2 cups chopped pecans
2 cups coconut
1 jar of marachino cherries, chopped (about 1/2-3/4 cups)

Coating:
24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 stick Gulf wax
2 tsp vanilla

Combine first 6 ingredients well and refrigerate several hours until solid enough to easily roll into walnut-size balls. (I took out a little at a time and left the rest in the refrigerator because it gets sticky if you don't.) Store rolled balls of candy in the refrigerator until you're ready to dip them. Again, I took them out a few at a time to keep them cold.

Melt the chocolate and wax in a double-boiler on the stove. Turn heat to low to keep chocolate hot, add the vanilla, and mix well. Using a toothpick, dip each ball into chocolate and place on wax paper to cool. When completely set, store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. Yep... that low blood sugar thing can totally cancel your day! Glad you discovered that. Cherry Bombs look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥