Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sayonara, Christmas!

Okay. So do you remember a couple of weeks ago when I was so proud of myself for actually putting up a Christmas tree this year? Well, I got sick of it all last night, and we took everything down and packed it up! Ha-ha-ha. Yea! Christmas is over at our house!

We're just not Christmas people, I guess. Baby steps, people.

We are planning to have a poker party at our house on January 26th. That's right. We are having great wads of people (at least 16) over to our house for a social gathering! I shall surely die of anxiety, stress, and fright before it's all over. Stay tuned for all the details of my nervous breakdown as it happens.

Is it dumb for somebody with social anxiety issues to have a party? Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Note to Bailey: If you didn't know about this, it may or may not be the reason I didn't show up at your b-day party. I really wanted to go, but I was skeered! How dumb.

I made pinto beans and cornbread for dinner last night, and it was wonderful. There's really no recipe. I just soaked them overnight in water, and rinsed them the next day before cooking for about 3-4 hours. I chopped up 3 pieces of bacon and cooked it slightly in the bean pot...just enough to render the fat, but it didn't get browned. Then I threw the soaked beans in, covered them with water, and cooked them for about two hours before adding the seasonings. Supposedly, if you add the salt too early in the process, the beans won't get soft. I added a dash or two of Liquid Smoke, garlic salt, onion powder, dehydrated onion flakes, lots of black pepper, and about a tablespoon of oregano. I added boiling water at least twice during the cooking processes when the water evaporated from the pot.

Of course you must have cornbread with beans, so I made my favorite cornbread from a mix, Jiffy. I love Jiffy Cornbread Mix because it's sweet. I had never had sweet cornbread until I was well into adulthood, and I'll never go back to the unsweet stuff. It's really bland and not very good. I never really cared for cornbread until I tasted Jiffy. I'll probably make some jalapeno/cheese cornbread when we eat the leftovers because we like that too.

I spent about three hours cleaning yesterday afternoon. I vacuumed the living room and utility room, did all the laundry, cleaned out the fridge, and just picked up all the crap that had accumulated over the last week or so. It was a lot. I was really glad I did all that because as soon as I finished, my housekeeper called and said she was coming today instead of Friday. Everyone knows you have to clean before your house cleaner comes! At the very least, you have to pick everything up so that she can clean. Not that my house gets that messy or dirty (except for the big gobs of dog and cat hair), but it's her job to clean, not pick up after us.

Blah, blah, blah. That's enough. Bye.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Just take the winnings from last week or so and have the party catered. It will make you happy!
    Or in southern style you can do it all and bitch, bitch, bitch. Both are fun. Do it BIG! BP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥