Monday, May 14, 2007

It Slipped

What is a slip?

Slippage occurs when stomach below the band "slips" up through the stoma (the opening inside the band between the pouch and the rest of the stomach), causing a prolapsed or herniated pouch. This herniated area can hang over the edge of the band causing food to be stuck in the pouch and preventing it from passing through the stoma to the larger stomach. This is what causes the heartburn, regurgitation, vomiting, and pain that can be associated with a sympotomatic slip. In severe slipppage, circulation to the stomach can be compromised requiring a second surgery to repair the slippage or to remove the band if there is too much scar tissue to repair the area. It is believed that vomiting is the biggest cause of a slip.

That's what I've got, folks. I'm on liquids for 7 days, and then I'm on soft foods for 7 days after that. Then I go back and they look at my stomach through a fluoroscope to see if my pounch has slipped back to the correct position on its own.

I've been in denial the past three weeks. I knew that things weren't right, but I didn't want to deal with it, and I sure didn't want to have surgery again. I guess I was hoping it would go away. I was waking up at least 2-3 times a night burping up pure acid into my mouth and spitting it out into a garbage can. I'm GROSS, I know. I think that's a pretty clear sign to anyone that something is wrong. Now I get to starve for two weeks.

Anywho.

I don't feel much like writing out the details of my step-nephew's suicide so I won't. The memorial service is Wednesday for this side of the family, and then the funeral is Thursday in Waco for his biological mother's side of the family. I know that my sister and bro-in-law will be glad when the formal services are all over. Bless their hearts.

Talk at ya later. I'm off to go starve. Woe is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥