Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Emergencies & Butt Cracks

Sharpei Puppy


So I take Sammi in to the vet yesterday for her second round of shots. This was a new vet because our old vet is about 30 minutes away so we decided to switch to someone closer. He was a nice man, and really loved Sammi. He said he wants a Bugg really bad and was supposed to get one for his last pet, but his daughter showed up with a "surprise" for his birthday. It was a Pekinese puppy. He said he loves it, but he really wants a Bugg. He grew up with Boston Terriers. Okay, I got off track here...



Anyway, we got home and I left to go grocery shopping. I got home, fixed lunch and ate it and sat down to work. It's about three hours now since Sammi had the shots. I feel her jumping on my leg wanting me to pick her up, and I look down and her whole head is swollen, her eyes nearly shut, and she has hives all over her. She looked EXACTLY like the Sharpei in that picture, all swollen with folds of skin hanging off her face. I got all terrified and called the vet to tell them I was on my way. I was afraid that she was going to start having trouble breathing from the swelling. These kinds of dogs with flat noses have trouble with breathing on a good day, so I was really afraid for her.

They rushed her in and gave her a shot of Benadryl and steroids, gave me more to give her last night and today, and we left. The swelling slowly went down over the course of the evening. She slept for a long time and then woke up around 8:00 as playful and full of energy as ever.

The vet said it was rare that puppies have a reaction from vaccines, but it does happen. I guess she's just lucky. He also confirmed that she does have an extra nipple. Like I said, I guess she's just lucky. Poor thing.

Later that same day...

Our water heater has gone kaput so we've got a plumber coming today to put in a new one. We're going to get one of those tankless water heaters. You get a $300 tax credit from the government because of its energy efficiency. I have no idea how a tankless water heater works so don't ask...and I don't wanna know either, so don't try to explain it to me. Stuff like that makes my head spin.

I guess I get to stare at a plumber's butt crack all day. I hope he's cute at least. Ewww. I just grossed myself out. I don't even want to look at a cute guy's butt crack.

The Daytona 500 was fantastic. Kevin Harvick won, and he's on Regis & Kelly at the moment -- I can hear him talking in there -- so I'll see y'all later, barring anymore emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥