Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Chicken Soup

Rainy Day
I'm cooped up in my office for the next three days with the dogs and Kitty because the painters are here. I packed a cooler with water and iced coffee, and I have the toaster, some bread, and some peanut butter in here with me so I don't starve to death. I'm sure those guys will be overjoyed when I start taking their picture. Hee. I'll probably be updating here several times a day due to bordom.
"Homemade" Chicken Soup

I got the basic recipe for this soup out of a cookbook and changed it up a little. It took me 10 minutes, tops, to put this together, and it was so good. The pesto makes a great-tasting broth. It's definitely a keeper recipe. It would be perfect to throw together when you have a cold or aren't feeling well enough to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Don't leave out the sprinkle of parmesan on top. That makes it really good.
Chicken Noodle Soup

3 (14-oz) cans of chicken broth, divided use
1/2 can of water (1/2-3/4 cup)
1 (12.5-oz) can of chunk white chicken
1/2 bag of frozen chopped broccoli
1 small can sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
Black pepper to taste
3 tbsp store-bought pesto (I used basil pesto)
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
Parmesan cheese
Bring 2 cans of broth and the water to a boil in a large saucepan. (Reserve the 3rd can of broth for reheating leftovers) Stir in chicken, broccoli, and carrots and return to a boil. Stir in egg noodles and cook 7-8 minutes until noodles are done. Stir in pesto and lemon juice; simmer one minute more. Serve in a bowl with parmesan sprinkled on top.

This was great and even better leftover the next day. I had to add another can of broth before warming it up because the noodles had soaked most of it up.

********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥