Sunday, October 15, 2006

Coffeemakers & Jalapenos

I had been noticing a puddle of water on the countertop under and around the Bunn coffeemaker. I cleaned it up the first time without thinking much about it. I figured Barnaby spilled the water while filling it or something. Then I saw it twice more and realized it was leaking. Since it IS electric, I didn't want one of us to get zapped by electricity and die making the coffee. I can't speak for Barnaby, but it would piss me off to die that way.
Anyway, I unplugged it and called Barnaby at work to ask him to pick up a new one. He said he would, and for me not to throw the old one away because he wanted to take it apart in the garage and see how it worked and save parts, or whatever it is he does out there. (Bunn coffeemakers are great, y'all. We've had this one for at least 3 or 4 years. They run around $100, but they're worth it if you're a big coffee drinker like me. It makes a pot of coffee in 2 minutes. Love it.) He went to Sears and brought a brand-new one home.
That evening, he had been out in the garage just a few minutes when he called me out there to see something. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I didn't even think about it. The inside of the coffeemaker where the water is stored and heated was so full of CRUD you wouldn't believe it! It looked and smelled like old, rusty metal pieces, both stuck to the insides and crumbled loosely in the bottom. GAH! It looked like something you'd scrape out of a scummy, stagnant pond.
I asked him at least five times if that's where the water came from we had been drinking for God knows how long in our coffee. It was obvious that it was, but I still wanted him to tell me it wasn't. It was gross! I drink A LOT of coffee made in that machine daily. Makes you wonder what the hell is in our water that builds up and leaves crap like that behind. (Also makes you wonder what's in my stomach right now.) And I swear, y'all, I cleaned that coffeemaker, as the instructions stated, pouring vinegar and water through it many times. I guess I need to do it once a week from now on. I'm going to have Barnaby open it up and look inside there on a regular basis too.
I'm sorry to those of you who have had coffee at my house recently. Come to think of it, I'm glad I didn't take a picture now. You would die if you saw what I saw; knowing that you had drank (drunk? drunken?) coffee out of there. RUN WHITE VINEGAR AND WATER THROUGH YOUR COFFEEMAKERS, PEOPLE!! AND DO IT WEEKLY!! Maybe you should open yours up and take a gander at it too. You might be surprised at what you find. I won't even mention looking inside the coffeemakers at your work place. We can safely assume they are full of pond scum too.

Race Food: Stuffed Jalapenos

Well, Jeff's car blew up near the end again. I think he's pretty much out of it now. Jimmie still has a chance, but he'll have to do great the last five races to win it. If he's lucky, some of the guys ahead of him in points will have some bad days. Mark Martin had one last night. I can't believe he walked away from that wreck. He hit that wall HARD. Mark's a nice guy, but he gets on my nerves being all humble, and "I love you guys," and "I'm so lucky," and "I'm just so proud," etc.. Just shut the hell up already! Somebody needs to shake him. There is such a thing as being too humble. And, and, AND...there is no way he is the same age as I am. No freakin' way! He looks like he's at least 60! His pants are on fire. Liar. Look:

See?

I was going to make a stew in the crockpot today. I thought it sounded good since it's supposed to rain a lot today and be cooler than normal. I went to the store and got everything to make it last night, but then I was too lazy to put it together this morning. I guess I'll do it tomorrow. We don't have anything planned for today. We'd usually be watching a race, but that was last night. The Dallas Cowboys don't do much for me these days, and I don't really care to watch them. It is laundry day, so that will get done sometime. I'm usually folding the last load while we watch Desperate Housewives.

Is my exciting life keeping you riveted in front of your computer screen? I know it is.Here's the stuffed jalapeno recipe if anybody cares:

Stuffed Jalapenos

1 large can whole, pickled jalapenos

6-8 oz cream cheese, softened

½ cup shredded cheddar (I used a Mexican blend)

Garlic salt & onion powder to taste

Sliced bacon

This damn thing is double-spacing again for absolutely NO REASON! Grrr.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with Pam. Drain the jalapenos, cut off the stems and slice in half long-ways. Scoop out the seeds and membrane with a spoon. Set halved jalapenos onto baking sheet.

Mix cream cheese, shredded cheese and seasonings. Pipe the cheese mixture onto jalapenos. (I put the cheese in a sandwich baggie, cut off a corner tip, and squeezed it out.) Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap a piece of bacon around each jalapeno and place back on baking sheet.

Bake jalapenos at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    Nasty and poor hygiene. It makes me wonder if your silverware is clean. I have eaten at your house.
    I will alway bring a plastic spork with me from now on. BP

    ReplyDelete
  2. CRIKEY! CRAPPY IN THE COFFEE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to tell you that I suggest a Brita or Purr water filter pitcher immediately! We have one and that's the water I use to make coffee now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥