Sunday, September 03, 2006

Three Recipes

Pretty Peppermint Candy

I've never been a huge fan of peppermint, but this stuff is to die for. It's so cheap, so easy, and so good. Wouldn't it be pretty to make for a baby shower? You could use the green mints if you knew it was a boy. The Almond Bark, if you haven't heard of it, should be by the chocolate chips at your grocery store. They have chocolate and vanilla and it's less than $2.00 at Wal-Mart.

Almond Bark Peppermint Candy

1 package white almond bark (I think it's a little over 1lb)
1 cup finely crushed peppermint candy

Chop almond bark into chunks and microwave three minutes to melt. Stir well. Place peppermints into a blender and blend until it becomes powder. (I hesitated a little at this because the candy like this I've eaten before was just crushed, not powdered. I'm glad I powdered it because I think it's even better this way.) Mix candy powder with melted almond bark. Spread on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Let cool completely and break into pieces. I put mine in the refrigerator to harden before breaking it up.
***********************
I messed around in the kitchen a lot of yesterday. I surfed around the Internet and came across these recipes and couldn't resist trying them. This ambrosia salad is really good and easy, just like the others. The original recipe was double this, but this still made a large bowl full.

Ambrosia Salad

1 can pineapple chunks, drained
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 can coconut flakes
1/2 bag mini marshmallows
1/2 cup sour cream
8 oz Cool Whip

Combine sour cream and Cool Whip. Fold in all other ingredients. Chill covered for at least 2 hours before serving.
***********************
I think I've found the recipe for the potato casserole I went on and on about the other day. I've decided that I was wrong (ouch) and it does contain frozen hash browns instead of fresh, AND it contains a can of soup. Who knew? I have this put together in the fridge but haven't baked it yet. I'm about 99% sure this is the recipe though. I'll let you know if it's not. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS. I'm 45 years old and have eaten alot of potatoes in my life, but this casserole is the best. Make it and then thank me for sharing. This is the original recipe measurements. I halved it when I made it. Update: This is the recipe I was looking for!

Hash Brown Casserole

1 pint sour cream
2-lb package shredded hash browns, thawed
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 small onion, chopped
10 oz grated Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar
Parmesan cheese or crushed potato chips for topping

Mix all ingredients except topping. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan and sprinkle cheese or crushed chips on topping. Bake covered 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer. 12 servings.
**********************

I'm making a big pile of nachos for us to eat tonight during the race. Go Jeff. I was going to treat you to some pictures of drivers I got a couple of years ago when they were here at Texas Motor Speedway, but Blogger won't let me upload anymore pictures right now. I got three good ones: Ryan Newman, Terry LaBonte and Robbie Gordon. Of course, I couldn't get anywhere near Jeff Gordon so all of his pictures are from a mile away and he's about 4 centimeters tall. He's tiny anyway, but not that tiny.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:58 PM

    I told you it was hash brown casserole. You really need to listen! BP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥