Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mmm, Pumpkin

I made these Pumpkin Cookies with Penuche Frosting yesterday. I’ve been having a hankering for pumpkin. It’s getting to be that time of year. These are really good. They are very tender with a cake-like texture. I put them in the fridge to keep because that keeps the icing firm so I could stack the cookies in a container. I added chocolate chips to these, but won't do that in the future. The chocolate took away from the pumpkin flavor too much. The frosting on these is yummy.

I enjoyed TWO WHOLE DAYS off on Monday and Tuesday. It was back to work yesterday with a rush job.

Tuesday I made Paula Deen’s Spicy Cinnamon Cake and was sorely disappointed. It seemed to be baked too long and was dry. At my mother’s suggestion, I made a brown butter frosting to go on it and that ended up being its only redeeming quality. I remember thinking when I made it that it didn’t have much oil. I think it might be much better with at least double that amount. I won’t be making it again though. After taking it over for lunch with them, I threw what was left in the garbage when I got home.

Here’s a good one for you. I got the original recipe from Nance and tweaked it a little for my taste.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

1 large can chicken breast meat, drained
8 oz light cream cheese
1/2 cup Ranch Dressing
1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
2/3 cup shredded cheddar

Mix all well and place in an 8 x 8 baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until hot and bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.

You can double this recipe if you have a lot of people. It’s salty, but I love it. I guess if it’s too salty, you could mix in another 8-oz of cream cheese. If you're not familiar with Frank's Red Hot, you can find it by the Tabasco sauce and stuff like that. It's my favorite. Justin Wilson , rest his soul, used to use it all the time and got me started.

Justin Wilson
1914-2001

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know Justin Wilson passed away!! Loved watching his TV show. Army buddy of mine from Bells, TX. turned me on to him waaayy back in the 70's. He was my intro to cajun cooking. Love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥