Friday, September 29, 2006

Gnat Invasion

Nat King Cole
I cannot for the life of me figure out where all these gnats are coming from! They have been buzzing around in here in my office and driving me crazy for a week. WHERE ARE THEY? Wanna see something gross? I was looking for a picture of a gnat to post and came across these. Why would anyone want a dead insect in amber jewelry? Ewww. Just ewww. I couldn't find a picture of a gnat I wanted to post so I just stuck that one up there. Get it?

Mexican Bush Sage

Japanese Sky Pencil Hollies & Japanese Barberry

The landscaper came again today and dropped off the rest of the materials. They'll be here first thing in the morning, and he said they were going to finish tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I also asked him to paint our front door, and he said he would but couldn't get to it right away.

I went to the nursery yesterday afternoon and bought a few plants to go in the side garden in front of the gate. I got two Japanese Sky Pencil Hollies that I love, love, love. I read up on them and they're supposed to be very hardy. They grow to 10 feet at maturity and don't need pruning to keep that tall, slender shape. The red shrub is Japanese Barberry.

That purple flowered plant is a Mexican Bush Sage. Supposed to be hardy around here and attracts butterflies and hummingbirds: http://www.floridata.com/ref/S/salv_leu.cfm

After looking at all these plants on the Internet, my little plants look kind of pathetic.

Gotta go. More later on in the weekend. Much love.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Gnat King Cole? I have Bee Arthur buzzing around my flowers. Buzzzz
    Get away, Maude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shady! That Mexican Sage bush gets huge so give it plenty of room to spread out. It'll get little baby plants too, so you can dig them up and transplant them or give them away or start your own nursery and sell them! Also, after it blooms, you chop it way back and it'll come back even better! "A" has one and it's really pretty. I cut some of the blooms off and bring them inside in a vase and they last a long time. Great plant! As for the gnats, poor some bleach down your kitchen and bathroom sink drains and the tub/shower drains and let it sit for about 30 min. before flushing with water. Check the trash cans and any live plants you may have around the house. If they are coming from your live plants, you'll have to put them outside and get something from your nursery to kill the eggs before you bring them back inside. Those are my best tips! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥