Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tuesday Recipe: Crispy Fried Chicken

Crispy Fried Chicken

This recipe came from Taste of Home magazine. I'd never made fried chicken with a batter before. It was quite good. If your chicken pieces are big like mine were, you'll need to add two or three minutes to the cooking time on each side. Also, dark meat pieces take longer than white. I would think it was the other way around, but it's not. Cook the legs and thighs longer than the other pieces. I soaked my chicken overnight in bowl of brine (water and salt) before cooking. I used about a quart of water and 2 tbsp kosher salt. No, I'm not Jewish. I only made half of the chicken called for here -- I also used all legs -- but used almost all of the batter. It gets your hands really gooey and messy. That's half the fun. Get your crayolas ready.

Crispy Fried Chicken

4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp paprika
3 tsp pepper, divided
2 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 chickens cut up (3 lbs each)
Oil for frying

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 2/3 cups flour, garlic salt, paprika, 2 1/2 tsp pepper and poultry seasoning. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water; add salt and remaining flour and pepper and mix well. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in the bag a few pieces at a time and shake until coated. Heat oil to 375 degrees. (I didn't use a thermometer.) Fry chicken several pieces at a time for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy and juices run clear (9 minutes per side for dark meat). Drain on paper towels. Makes 8 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    You are Paula F-ing Dean. I swear!
    Met a lady today at jury duty that lives in Desoto that had retired and was talking about retirement
    Asking her what she does now......
    Anywho got talking about Farmers Market and I think she is gonna add that to her things to do once a week. She was kinda excited about it. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥