Wednesday, May 24, 2006

No Rewriting


I just reread yesterday’s entry. Boy, parts of it sure do make me sound selfish. I refuse to go back and edit it just to make myself “look” better. That’s the way I was feeling when I wrote it, so that’s the way it will stay. I guess you’ll get the good, the bad, and the ugly here.

This reminds me of one of my favorite books by Al Franken, I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me! Daily Affirmations By Stuart Smalley. The whole book is a year’s worth of Stuart’s diary entries and begins like this:

New Year’s Eve

I will finish this book one year from today. Every morning I will exercise, shower, eat a good breakfast, then sit down at my tape recorder and talk down that day’s affirmation. I will not rewrite! What I say into my tape recorder the first time is just fine! Because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Also, I will get dressed and shower between showering and breakfast.

January 1

Okay. That was a mistake. Every day is a chance to start anew. And by singling out January 1st, I’m giving the impression that we should live one year at a time instead of one day at a time. Now I kind of wish I hadn’t promised myself not to rewrite. But I did! It’s just that I hate starting out on the wrong foot. Maybe this book is one big, huge mistake. But that’s just Stinkin’ Thinkin’ and I refuse to beat myself up. If I could just start over somehow. Oh well, let’s move on.
Stuart proceeds to doubt himself and his entries every day for the next few entries, saying things like, “I vowed not to rewrite, and … I wonder if I can just omit things? No, then I’d start censoring … Okay, I’m sorry. I’ve completely forgotten where I am.”

I’ve read this book several times, and it always makes me laugh like it’s the first time I’ve read it. You can see from the picture how worn my copy is. Poor Stuart is just so dang lovable. He’s insecure, extremely hard on himself, and he takes to his bed for days at a time with boxes of cookies when things just get too overwhelming for him.

Maybe not to this extreme, but I think there’s a little Stuart Smalley in all of us. You’re missing out if you haven’t read it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:24 PM

    love it, keep going, xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥